Image source: GuentherDillingen on Pixabay
Hello and welcome to the The Ink Well weekly fiction prompt. The Ink Well is a Hive blockchain-based social media community of creative writers. If you love to write short stories, we invite you to join us. Or peruse the work of our community members.
Before you post in our community, please be sure to read the community rules (right side of the page) where we outline the "do's and don'ts" for posting in The Ink Well. Note that we have recently updated them to make sure they are crystal clear and easy to read.
Our community rules are designed to make our community a safe, welcoming, plagiarism-free space for self-publishing original short stories.
Okay! Let's review fiction highlights from last week and start a new prompt.
Highlights of the Week
Thank you to everyone who posted a story for last week's prompt, “Legend".
Be sure to read and support these authors for their work!
- Record from the Legendary Native, by @dwixer
- The Legend of the Seven, by @bruno-kema
- The Snake in the Lake, by @gracielaacevedo
- The Origin of Elephant Has Long Nose, by @rokhani
- Of Life and Death, by @seesladen
- Left-hand side of the bed to the fullest, by @iyimoga
- Leyenda, by @katleya
- Legend of the Showers Fountain, by @kemmyb
- The Legend of the Bay Walk, by @mrnightmare.net
- Legend, by @deeanndmathews
- Little Lightning, by @ricardo993
This Week’s Prompt
The prompt for this week is Three Words.
Sometimes the creative mind is like a burned out campfire that needs a little kindling to fuel it. There are many things that can stoke that fire. Reading good fiction, is one. Daydreaming is another. Sometimes an aroma can inspire a story.
If you've never tried it, a fun exercise is to choose three words to launch a story. They can be any three words, but it's a good idea to choose three that tickle the senses. For this prompt we're supplying three words for you:
We recommend not thinking too hard about how to use these words in your story. Instead, just start writing with these words in mind. Eventually you will see how each of the words should be incorporated into the story.
If you don't feel inspired by these three words or the featured image, feel free to peruse Prompt #6: 50 Story Ideas.
Where will you take your story?
Good luck! And be sure to remember the important elements of good fiction:
- A good setting
- Character development
- A story arc and resolution
Weekly Prompt Rules:
- Deadline: You have a week to write for the prompt, until the next one is posted. (Note: You can write for any of the prompts anytime. This is just a guideline to be included in the weekly round-up of highlights.)
- Hashtags: Please use these hashtags: #fiction #writing #inkwellprompt #theinkwell.
- Story link: Post a link to your story in a comment on this post.
- Community support: Visit the work of at least two other community members and comment on their work.
- Title: The title is up to you. You can come up with any title you wish. You do not need to name it after the prompt or include the prompt word.
- Images: Please only use images from license free and creative commons sites, like Pixabay, Unsplash and Pexels. Images you find on the Internet are copyright protected and cannot be used. Be sure to provide the source link.
Reminder: Be sure to also read our community rules. (The reason for the reminder is every single week we see stories about brutality of women, and we must mute them. Please do not post these stories in The Ink Well.)
Here are the past prompts if you would like to use them or refer back to them:
- #1: Heart and Soul
- #2: The moment when...
- #3: Beauty with a twist
- #4: The Way Home
- #5: A Matter of Time
- #6 50 Story Ideas
- #7 The Library
- #8 All the way to tomorrow
- #9 Legend
We look forward to reading your stories!
We would like to invite lovers of creative writing to visit The Ink Well, a Hive community started by @raj808 and @stormlight24 and run by @jayna and @agmoore.
We also invite you to follow The Ink Well curation trail on the Hive blockchain, at https://hive.vote/. Simply navigate to the curation trail section and search for theinkwell (all one word with no @ symbol) and our trail will pop up as an option.
Similarly delegations are possible on Hive using the fantastic https://peakd.com/ Hive Blockchain front end. If you wish to delegate to @theinkwell, you can do this from the wallet section of https://peakd.com/
A big thank you to all our delegations from:
@jayna, @agmoore, @gracielaacevedo, @iamraincrystal, @generikat, @shanibeer, @marlyncabrera, @owasco, @preparedwombat, @marcybetancourt, @zeurich, @barge, @lacrucita, @adncabrera, @vision-of-esca, @josemalavem, @morey-lezama, @sayury, @rypo01, @evagavilan2 and @bertrayo.
Click banner to visit our community page