Image source: Ricardo_Helass on Pixabay
Welcome to the The Ink Well weekly fiction prompt. If you're new here, thank you for coming by! We are a Hive blockchain-based social media community of creative writers. If you love to write short stories, we invite you to join us. Or peruse the work of our community members.
Before you post in our community, please be sure to read the community rules (right side of the page) where we outline the "do's and don'ts" for posting in The Ink Well. Our community rules are designed to make our community a safe, welcoming, plagiarism-free space for self-publishing original short stories.
Okay! Let's review fiction highlights from last week and start a new prompt.
Highlights of the Week
Thank you to everyone who posted a story for last week's prompt, “The Library".
Be sure to read and support these authors for their work!
- Within the Pages, by @bruno-kema
- A Minute Past Midnight, by @ubani1
- I went to the library and the books attacked me!, by @brittandjosie
- The Library, a Place to Call Home, by @pokerm
- The portal, by @dwixer
- The Library, by @agmoore
- She is my library, by @ricardo993
- Jane and they Mysterious Book, by @iyimoga
- In that library, by @mrnightmare.net
- The past of my playground, by @gracielaacevedo
- History as Taught by a Woman, by @amirtheawesome1
- The Wait, by @kemmyb
- The Library, by @deeanndmathews
This Week’s Prompt
The prompt for this week is All the way to tomorrow.
You may recognize these words from one of the most famous books of all time, The Hobbit. The complete quote is "It seemed like all the way to tomorrow and over it to the days beyond."
For this prompt, consider writing a story that takes place in an alternate reality or in an imagined world - possibly with beings that we simply don't encounter in real life on earth. Or take the prompt in any direction you choose. It's completely up to you.
Here are some ideas to get the creative wheels turning:
- There is a gnome war. The red jackets and blue jackets are fighting for domination of a suburban garden. How will it end?
- A community of dwarves witness a child being carried off by goblins, and make a plan to rescue it and return it before the parents discover it is missing.
- A group of children comes upon a doorway in a hillside, which leads to an adventure they can later discuss only among themselves.
- And if you don't feel inspired by the prompt or these story ideas, feel free to peruse Prompt 6: 50 Story Ideas.
Where will you take your story?
Good luck! And be sure to remember the important elements of good fiction:
- A good setting
- Character development
- A story arc and resolution
Weekly Prompt Rules:
- Deadline: You have a week to write for the prompt, until the next one is posted. (Note: You can write for any of the prompts anytime. This is just a guideline to be included in the weekly round-up of highlights.)
- Hashtags: Please use these hashtags: #fiction #writing #inkwellprompt #theinkwell.
- Story link: Post a link to your story in a comment on this post.
- Community support: Visit the work of at least two other community members and comment on their work.
- Title: The title is up to you. You can come up with any title you wish. You do not need to name it after the prompt or include the prompt word.
- Images: Please only use images from license free and creative commons sites, like Pixabay, Unsplash and Pexels. Images you find on the Internet are copyright protected. Be sure to provide the source link.
Note: Be sure to also read our community rules.
Here are the past prompts if you would like to use them or refer back to them:
- #1: Heart and Soul
- #2: The moment when...
- #3: Beauty with a twist
- #4: The Way Home
- #5: A Matter of Time
- #6 50 Story Ideas
- #7 The Library
We look forward to reading your stories!
We would like to invite lovers of creative writing to visit The Ink Well, a Hive community started by @raj808 and run by @jayna and @agmoore.
We also invite you to follow The Ink Well curation trail on the Hive blockchain, at https://hive.vote/. Simply navigate to the curation trail section and search for theinkwell (all one word with no @ symbol) and our trail will pop up as an option.
Similarly delegations are possible on Hive using the fantastic https://peakd.com/ Hive Blockchain front end. If you wish to delegate to @theinkwell, you can do this from the wallet section of https://peakd.com/
A big thank you to all our delegations from:
@felt.buzz @shanibeer @jayna @ocd-witness @kaelci @trucklife-family @preparedwombat @iamraincrystal @owasco @agmoore and @marcybetancourt.
Click banner to visit our community page