This is the second and final part of our discourse on the practical use and application of tags in our Hive posts.
In the first part we explained what tags/topics are and we gave different samples of tags as seen on Hive. We also gave the different Categories of Tags, and this includes: Community Tags, Tribal Tags, Relevant Tags and Popular/Trending Tags.
For Tribal Tags we said you can use the following tags for any content of good quality and plagiarism-free:
|ARCHON (but best in photo related contents)
And we also said there are some Tribal Tags that can only be used for Specific Contents:
|finance and crypto related contents (posting through leofinance.io frontend is highly recommended)
|For Sports related content
|For Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths related contents
|Creative Coin – For contents that have to do with creativity such as crafts, art or photography, among others.
|Do It Yourself (DIY) – For contents that deal with creativity also
|#splinterlands or #spt
|For Splinterlands related contents
|For blockchain games
|For contents that deal with marketing, business and other financial contents
|#food or #foodie
|For food related contents
If you haven't read that post you can do so by clicking the image below.
In this second part, we shall cover the following themes.
- Arranging your Tags in Posts
- First (Primary Tag)
- First Five Tags
- Other Tags
- Examples (Analyzing and creating the placement of tags in three Posts)
- Of What use are the Tags?
- Wider audience and Visibility
- Visibility and Earning from other Hive Front End
- Author and Curation Rewards
- List of some Hive frontends
- Abuse of Tags
- Concluding Remark
Walk with me; I promise this will be fun and educative!
☆ ARRANGING YOUR TAGS IN POSTS
From our last discussion, we can see that there are different categories of tags. All these categories should be considered when we want to make a post.
In my opinion, you can follow the order this way:
- Using specified community tags (ensure to follow the rules of the community)
- Using relevant tags
- Using Tags associated with Tribal Tokens
- Using Popular tags/related community tags
You don’t need to do all!
You can put out only 2 or 3 tags, or you can put out more, but ensure to make it maximum of 10 tags.
FIRST (PRIMAY) TAG
You cannot publish a post on Hive without a tag, hence your first tag is your primary tag. From ecency.com and leofinance.io frontend, the first tag will be the community’s unique id or real account name (as we have seen earlier). It is very important and it cannot be modified after posting your content. Hence, ensure that it is either the community’s tag, contest tag or very essential to your post.
FIRST FIVE TAGS
Your first five tags are also important as they help in categorizing your posts on Hive. In other words, if you intend to search for the post later on, you can only find the post using the first five tags you use. That is why using Relevant tags will come in handy at this spot.
NB: You can use only one or two relevant tags if you want. But they should be placed within this position (as members of the first 5 tags)
Whereas peakd and leofinance frontend allows you to select a total of 10 tags, some other frontends may be different. However, I advise that you stick to maximum of 10 tags.
For the other tags, you can place other related tribal tokens, popular tags and optional community specified tags.
- You can use a minimum of 1 and maximum of 10 tags
- You don't need to use tags even when they are not necessary
- Be conscious of the community special tags; use them if they are mandatory, if they are optional, be free to explore relevant options.
- Place your relevant tag(s) within the first 5 tags
- You can put other RELATED tribal tags in your posts,
- But, careful to use only those tags that are necessary.
☆ PRACTICAL EXAMPLES
Let us try out some examples:
NB: I am not all perfect in my use of tags!
In my post titled HOW USELESS ARE YOUR NFTS, these are the tags I used:
- Aside the community tag (which is hidden after you make the post), #nft was my next tag because it is relevant and essential to the theme.
- The tags #nft #blockchain #oneup #ctp #leofinance are all related to the theme of NFTs
- #oneup #ctp #leofinance are all Tribal tags
- #india was used because this post is an entry for the india-leo contest
- #neoxian #vyb #pob were used because they are general tribal tags
- #waivio tag is related to finance
In the Splinterlands Battle Challenge I made, titled: Tenyii Striker: The Deadly Sneak Lord, these are the tags I used:
- #splinterlands #spt are the community specified tags for the challenge
- #hivegc is a specified tag for the Hive Gaming Community, since the content was posted in their community
- #thgaming and #oneup are gaming related tags
- #leofinance and #ctp are tags that are related to finance, especially when you discuss some financial content in your post
- #neoxian and #pob are for general contents
- #pimp is the final one.
Let us create sample placement of tags for the post: "LOVE AT FIRST KISS," a post for Dreemport & ecency & scholarandscribe challenge. The challenge tag is "des" (representing all first names of the project organisers). To be posted in Scholarandscribe Community
NB: I just created this challenge -its a fiction, based on what happened earlier
Suggested tags arrangement
I guess you can analyse why I chose those tags.
☆ OF WHAT USE ARE THE TAGS?
I hope by now, you have a better understanding of what these tags are and how to use them efficiently in your posts.
At this juncture, it is important that we know the uses of these tags so that we better appreciate the use of tags, and we use them deliberately.
IT GIVES YOU WIDER AUDIENCE AND VISIBILITY
Using the right tags gives you audience and visibility and it does this in the following ways:
- Popular Tags: It adds your post in the list of posts that make use of the popular tags. Hence, one can easily see the post among the trending posts in popular tags.
I clicked on the #introduceyourself tag
- Contests: Some contest requires that you use special tags, using those tags will make it easier for the contest organizers to see your tags and it makes your entry counted.
The contest tag is #hive-extreme, searching for the tag will show the entries.
VISIBILITY AND EARNING FROM OTHER HIVE FRONT END
When you make a post and use some tags, your posts can appear in other frontends on Hive.
For instance, my Splinterlands Battle Challenge titled: The Lost Battle with the Soul Strangler: My Regrets – What I should have done better, I just made a single post from my peakd frontend with the following tags.
Because I made use of these tags, my posts gained visibility on those frontends. This implies that, people who are used to accessing those frontends will definitely view my posts.
Leofinance and Palnet frontends
Oneup and Neoxian frontends
CTP and Peakd frontends
Splintertalk and Ecency frontends
Below the post, you can also see that each frontend has its unique tribe token in the voting side. Hence, a vote from any frontend, will give you a vote from all front end, if your voter has staked tokens of those coins.
TRIBE TOKENS: AUTHOR AND CURATION REWARDS
Hence, while you earn Author Reward for your Hive/HBD tokens when you make posts on Hive, you earn Author Reward for the Tribal Tokens when you use the tags. For some tokens you may earn 50/50 liquid and powered up; and for others 100% powered up.
Also, while you earn Curation Reward when you vote posts, which its power is based on your Hive Power, accrued by Staking up your Hive, you also gain Curation Reward when you vote posts that use tags which you have the Staked Tokens of that token.
Hence, staking up your second layer tokens will do a great good to you.
LIST OF SOME HIVE FRONTENDS
So, here are some of the frontends on Hive, if you care to check them up.
Hive Blog – www.hive.blog
Peakd – www.peakd.com
Ecency – www.ecency.com
3Speak – www.3speak.tv
Leofinance – www.leofinance.io
Splinterlands – www.splintertalk.io
STEM - www.stemgeeks.net
NEOXIAN – www.neoxian.city
Palnet - www.palnet.io
ARCHON – www.archonapp.net
TRIBALDEX – www.tribaldex.blog
PROOF OF BRAIN – www.proofofbrain.io
☆ ABUSE OF TAGS
In as much as tags has so many advantages and benefits accrued to using them, it is important that we learn to use them at the appropriate time.
Using them carelessly or inappropriately may get your post to be muted or downvoted. You can also be queried by Hive Watchers for doing so, and get your account in the blacklisted book. I know you don’t want this to happen.
For instance, we all know that tags like #myintroduction #introducingyourself are used when Newbies make their first post. There are different persons and projects that look out for tags like this, to welcome newbies and give them little support as they make their first step on Hive. When we begin to use this tag carelessly all in the sake of dragging people’s attention to get upvotes, this will show that such a person is dishonest.
Remember, I told you that you have to be deliberate about your actions on Hive and your post. Hence, such actions will be regarded as deliberate and you will be seen as a dishonest person.
So, learn the right thing, and use the right tags in your post.
This was indeed a long post, and I really appreciate you for staying to the end. On my own part, it took me about 10 days to produce the two parts, and I hope it is worth it.
I hope the post will help everyone both in the present moment and future to understand this subject of "tags" better.
I hope this piece will be a reference point for many other interesting articles.
I will like to hear your feedback, corrections and additions.
Don’t forget to reblog this post so that it gets to everyone who needs to see this on Hive: This post is for everyone on Hive, and in every community. It will help our journey on Hive.
Thank you for your patience
Thank you for reading my post.
For more information, you can read:
- THE GAME OF TAGS [UPDATED GUIDE 2020] by @hivewatchers
- How to Blog to Earn 12 Cryptocurrencies & A Kick Ass Tournament by @dynamicrypto
- How to Use Tags on Hive? by @gadrian
- Screenshot of the different Hive frontends taken from my mobile phone and PC.
- Designs created with Canva Mobile App
Have you read these posts by me?
I AM KSAM
I may not be your favourite author, but you can journey with me to help me develop my writing skills. I am always open to criticism, correction and learning 🥰.