All across Praetoria, people can't stop talking about the Gladiators, a group of elite warriors who have answered the call for participants to join the great Guild Brawls! The Gladiators are drawn from all races & creeds, a diverse group gathered from scattered locations throughout the Splinterlands. Now their training is nearing completion, and soon Battle Mages will be able to draw on their services to achieve much glory in the Brawls to come!
Brawls 2.0 testing is currently ongoing with the Mavericks, and will soon be wrapping up as we start to prepare for release. Details here: /@cryptomancer/splinterlands-brawls-testing-20-now-open-to-the-mavs
This post concludes our deep dive series about the upcoming Brawls 2.0 features (not yet released at the time of writing).
Previous posts in the series:
Introducing the Gladius Gladiator Edition
The Brawls 2.0 update will add Gladius Cases to the game. These are a new type of card pack available for sale exclusively in the Guild Store. As with other card packs, each Gladius Case will contain 5 random cards from the Gladius Gladiator Edition, one of which is guaranteed to be a rare or better. The chances of getting common, rare, epic, legendary, or gold foil cards is also the same as with other packs.
How do I get Gladius Cases?
- You must belong to a guild that has at least a level 2 Store (and a level 2 Barracks if you want to actually use your Gladiators in battle).
- Participate in Brawls and win Merits (the new guild currency explained in this post).
- Visit the GUILD tab of the Shop page.
- Spend your Merits to buy Gladius Cases (you can't buy them with DEC or Credits).
- Open your Gladius Cases in the Mana Well just like other card packs.
Note: Merit prices shown on this screenshot are not finalized and may or may not change before final release.
Once you have some Gladiators, they belong to your individual account, not your guild. So if you leave your guild and join another, you can still use your Gladiators and Merits in the new guild.
Characteristics of Gladiators
Gladiator cards are rather special. They are more powerful than normal cards, intended to act as team captains, leading your monsters into battle. As such they are subject to some additional usage rules that don't apply to normal cards.
- SoulBound - Gladiator cards cannot be traded, delegated, rented, or sold. Gladius Cases themselves are also SoulBound, as are Merits.
- Only playable in Brawls - these cards cannot be used in normal Ranked Battles or Tournaments.
- Only 1 per team per battle - You can only ever select 1 Gladiator at a time for battle on the team select screen. Multiple Gladiator cards cannot be used in the same battle, so choose carefully!
- No pack limit - as these cards are SoulBound, there is no limit to the number of Gladius Cases that can be purchased in the Guild Store.
- No Legendary & Alchemy Potions - potions don't work on these cards. Instead, you can use Blood Stones & Power Stones which work similarly to potions.
- Additional level limit constraints - As explained here, in addition to normal Fray level limits, Gladiators are also subject to the level limits allowed by Unleash I / II / III / IV Barracks Tactics.
- Counts for Collection Power - like all other cards, Gladiators also count towards your Collection Power score and will count for the SPS airdrop.
- Burnable for DEC - Gladiators can also be converted to DEC, at Untamed burn rates.
There's also one more very big distinction between Gladiators and other cards:
All 32 cards of the Gladius Edition have a new ability called Bloodlust:
Gladiators revel in the glory of combat and draw strength from each kill, becoming more dangerous as the battle goes on. Every time a Gladiator defeats an opponent, he/she gets +1 to all initially non-zero stats (in the Reverse Speed ruleset, -1 to speed).
This ability also applies to passive kills, i.e. if a Gladiator defeats an opponent through something like Thorns, Return Fire, Magic Reflect, etc, Bloodlust still gets triggered.
Bloodlust is an incredibly powerful ability, and we're sure you will find all sorts of imaginative ways to combo it with other abilities to give your teams an edge against rival guilds!
QA testing is nearing its end. Gladiators & the rest of the awesome Brawls 2.0 features should be releasing soon so be prepared! An exact release date has not been decided yet, so stay tuned for further announcements.
If you're not already in our game Discord, feel free to stop on by and say hello, our awesome community will give you a warm welcome:
Official Splinterlands Discord: https://discord.gg/A6yNcVqbU6