A credit instrument in which money is lent from one party to another in return for a stream of payments that include principal value. The loan carries with it a certain interest rate which is paid on top of the principal.
Most economies depend upon loans for expansion. Many goods that are considered high ticket items cannot be paid in cash. Businesses also find the use of credit to be an acceptable part of corporate finance. When looking at it from a return perspective, if a higher amount can be generated as compared to the interest rate, this ends up being a net positive.
Impact On The Money Supply
Loans are directly tied to the money supply in much of the world. Roughly 80% of the currency operates under a fractional reserve banking system. That means that commercial bank money is what the general economy actually uses.
Central banks are responsible for the physical currency, both banknotes and the distribution of coins. However, in the digital era, we do not use physical money for many transactions let alone for settlement. This means that the economy is driven by digital currency.
It is the reason why economic expansion is dependent upon loans. The money supply much expand to increase economic productivity. Money is not wealth which is why straight "money printing" for countries that can do that never worked. Instead, wealth comes from business, commerce, and economic engagement.
Types of Loans
There are basically two types of loans: secured and unsecured.
Funds for a wide array of personal needs and desires
- Credit builder loan: a secured loan that helps you to build positive credit history
- Debt consolidation loan: a way to combine multiple debt accounts, ideally with a lower interest rate
- Holiday loan: a loan to cover expenses related to holiday shopping
- Home improvement loan: used to pay for home improvement projects and repairs
- Medical loan: a loan to cover medical expenses or living cost while recuperating
- Vacation loan Allows you to cover the cost for a vacation
- Wedding loan: money to pay for the wedding
- Recreation vehicle and boat loans: financing on non-auto vehicles
- Pool loan: a loan to build or repair a pool
- Family loan: borrowing directly from a friend or family member
Funds used to buy a automobile
Federal, state or privately-issued debt to cover education costs
Borrowing funds to buy a home
- Home equity loans: money borrowed against the equity in one's property
Payday loan involves borrowing against one's paycheck instead of using credit cards.
Pawn shop loans
A loan agreeing to a shop owner’s terms to pay for various items
Getting funds to finance an idea or to expand one's business
Some of these are secured like mortgages while others can be unsecured such as different types of personal loans.