** Updated to include cost breakdown at end **
Rising Star is a FREE TO PLAY music career simulator with over 7000 daily active players where you start as a lowly busker and work your way to global stardom collecting NFTs and earning STARBITS and STARPRO along the way.
Rising Star is built on Hive.
Please support this proposal HERE.
- Rising Star was conceived as "something to do during lockdown" and has grown from 0 daily active players at launch in April 2020 to over 7000 today.
- We have achieved this with a core team of just 4 people - husband and wife ("Jux", who does the game mechanics design and most of the coding, and Julie who also does the game design as well as dealing with support and admin), @theturtleproject (images for the cards) and @nupulse (card design). Three of us are musicians that have been around since the days of "dsound" on STEEMIT (boy I miss that, dsound NOT STEEMIT!!).
- The main game token, STARBITS, has a daily volume that puts it in the top 10 tokens on Hive Engine.
- Over 1,800,000 NFTs have been minted on Hive Engine at a cost of over 7200 BEE.
- Over 570,000 Card Packs have been opened.
- New players join Hive to play Rising Star on a daily basis. They come from Twitch (where we actively support streamers with our "Battle of the Bands" game), WAX (where we have packs available for purchase), BSC, Polygon, YouTube and more.
- Rising Star is FREE TO PLAY. We didn't know if this was possible but we wanted to give everyone a chance to play, no matter where they are in the world.
- No bots or multiple accounts. This one is key to the "free to play" model and we have developed a system that detects most of these automatically but does require some manual reviewing. EVERY new account is checked.
- Players often tell us that the community is one of the friendliest and most welcoming that they have ever seen (come and say "hi" in our Discord and ask players what they think of the game and community).
- On average there are about 50 community posts about the game every day
- Independent music from Hive musicians features heavily in the game via an in-game radio as well as NFTs of records that can be minted by any player and are used in the game.
- Musicians, other projects (e.g. OneUp by @flauwy, Hive Pizza by @thebeardflex, HIVE Punks by @themarkymark, CineTV @RaymonSpeaks, et al), streamers & players can have their own cards added to the game. This is something that is very popular and adds to the community feel.
- Most of the proceeds from the game (after hosting costs, minting fees, tax, etc.) are either used to pay the team a small amount or are powered up for us to reward the community by way of manual curation via the @risingstargame account (manually curated by Julie).
If this proposal is successful we would use the funds to:
- Pay the current team commensurate to the amount of work they do (because they have been working for a very small amount for over two years)
- Pay for help with development of new features (using HIVE devs whenever possible)
- Pay for more tutorials to be created
- Expand the team
- Pay for limited marketing if needed (up until now everything has been word of mouth).
- Keep any surplus powered up for curation / deposit in HBD
If this proposal is NOT successful:
Don't worry, Rising Star isn't going anywhere!
- We will continue to work hard bringing you new features and supporting the game as it grows through word of mouth.
- Development may not be as fast as we would like and we may need to power down some of the HIVE we have staked in the future if needed.
The Deep(ish) Dive
What is Rising Star?
On the face of it Rising Star is just a simple "click and wait" idle game that allows you to start as a lowly busker and carry out time based missions to grow your fan base and become a global superstar.
BUT it has evolved into SO MUCH MORE!
Rising Star Radio - listen to Hive musicians as you play the game
Record NFTs - mint and sell your music in game. Players can stake STARBITS and receive a share of your sales.
As you can see from the graph below Rising Star has seen good growth from its launch and has only recently started to tail off for a few reasons:
Crypto winter has arrived so as those of us who have been around for more than one Bitcoin cycle (4 years) know, people tend to take a break only to return during the next bull run.
We recently improved our rule breaking detection and have also been paying someone to help us investigate potential multi accounts so we have been banning a lot of accounts.
We have announced a change that reduces the profitability of using the game just to farm STARBITS. We saw a convoy of tractors leave Buskeria in a huff!
Thank you @sentipl for the above chart
UPDATE - Cost Breakdown
We have been advised to include a full cost breakdown to justify the funding we have requested:
Again if you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us in Discord.
It's not the remit of this post to go into more details about the game. We would urge you to come and talk to the community on our Discord or read the comments below and ask as many questions as you like. I am always around in Discord if you have any specific questions, just tag "Jux" and I will answer as soon as I can.
We hope you will agree to vote for this proposal so we can continue to attract more and more players to HIVE to not only play Rising Star but to delve into all the amazing communities and other projects that make up this diverse and awesome ecosystem that we all love.
Thank you for taking the time to read my ramblings and see you in Buskeria!
Cheers and rock on \m/
Jux and the Rising Star team.
"It's Crypto Winter - let's BUIDL!"