On January this year, I asked a set of 7+1 Math problems with prizes of 1 HIVE each, whose compilation is on this post. I then hosted a tiring but fun month-long contest last February, whose rules are here and compilation is here. 👈
I will hold a week-long Math contest for March 2021 on D.Buzz, starting on March 22 (Monday) at 03:00 P.M. (UTC +8, @chrisrice's local time), and will end after the 7th Math problem has been concluded. A total of 7 HIVE will be awarded for this week-long contest! This change is necessary to prevent both the participants and the host from getting tired because of an overextended contest. 😅
The math problems to be posted by me would normally be correctly answerable by a competent high school student. The problems will usually come from algebra, geometry, trigonometry, probability, and statistics as they are asked in high school math contests, but may also be from differential or integral calculus. 🤓
There are minor changes to the rules compared to the February 2021 contest, which are:
- The contest will run for 7 days instead of 28 days. Due to the change in contest duration, the total prizes will be 7 HIVE instead of 30 HIVE.
- Instead of the participant being required to post or comment on D.Buzz for at least 7 days for the past 14 days before leaving an answer, he or she will only be required to post or comment just once on D.Buzz within the past 24 hours of posting his or her answer before becoming qualified to win the daily prize.
- The participant may edit his or her answer, instead of being required to comment with an updated answer.
- Participant must have posted or commented at least once on the D.Buzz community 24 hours before leaving his or her answer. The user may use any Hive platform to publish on the D.Buzz community.
- I will publish a Math problem every 24 hours starting at 03:00 P.M. (GMT+8) on March 22, 2021 (Monday) for 7 days. I will use #PeakD's scheduled posts feature to ensure that the problem gets published on time. If nobody submitted a correct and valid answer, see #5. I will try to check if #PeakD actually published my scheduled post sometime after the scheduled time if it actually got posted, but I will not be responsible for any participant waiting if the post scheduling function encounters a technical issue.
- Any interested and qualified participant must comment their answer on my post containing the Math problem. Posting the answer anywhere else will make it invalid. If a participant wants to change their answer, see #6.
- Participants are allowed to ask for help in solving the Math problem. Participants may tag other users to answer the problem (subject to Rule #1).
- This mini-contest for March 2021 will run for exactly 7 days. Whenever nobody submitted a valid and correct answer for a day, the prize of 1 HIVE for the day shall be distributed to the previous winners in proportion to how many times they won for the week. For example, if nobody correctly answered the problem for Day N, the day's prize of 1 HIVE shall be split into (N-1-X) equal parts corresponding to the previous N days (March 21 to 28), where X refers to the number of days from Day 1 to N when nobody answered correctly. Each part of 1 HIVE shall be distributed to the previous winners depending on how many times they won for the week. That said, if nobody won on Day N and all the previous days, the prize of N Hive will be carried over to the next day.
- The winner for the day shall be the first participant who submitted the correct answer. Editing the answer is allowed. If the participant made more than one answer, only his or her latest answer will be valid.
- The answer does NOT need to be accompanied by its solution or explanation. However, showing the solution and its explanation might help in case the participant's answer appears different from the actual answer. This also allows the participant to impress the audience (assuming their answer is correct)! 😆
- Answers must be in lowest term (if fractional) and have the appropriate units (when applicable) unless specified otherwise in the problem. Answers not following this shall be considered incorrect.
- The winner for any given day shall receive 1 HIVE directly to their Hive account. The reward will be sent soon after the 24-hour answering period for the correctly-answered problem has passed. If nobody won for the day, see #5.
- I will not tag any user on every Math problem I post, except supporters (such as @dbuzz). That is to help make sure that no participant gets an "unfair" reminder for my problems posted.
- I will not reply to any participant's comment with the answer until after the 24-hour answering period has passed. This is to help avoid influencing the answers of any participant. I may still upvote any comment with the answer, regardless of whether the answer was correct or not.
- My decision as to what the correct answer is shall be final. Participants are nevertheless encouraged to prove that their answer is correct in case it is not accepted.
- Participants who are found to be cheating will automatically be disqualified. Cheating includes, but is not limited to, using of multiple accounts owned or controlled by the same person to submit different answers in an attempt to win the day's contest.
- I may change these rules anytime. It is recommended that users read these rules from time to time, especially if they are participants in this mini-contest.
😁😎 Good luck to all participants, and enjoy! 😎😁
Official participants of the previous Math contests: @jfang003, @eturnerx (@eturnerx-dbuzz), @holovision, and @ahmadmanga (@ahmadmangazap)
Interested users: @minus-pi, @dkmathstats, @paultactico2, and @appukuttan66