I’m going to show you how to make Saengang-cheong (ginger extract) in the Korean traditional way. In Korea, we make a ginger extract by boiling ginger and sugar for a long time. The longer the ginger is boiled, the more the ginger's gingerol content increases, which is better for the body. Because we’re adding sugar it can be last long. If you keep it in the refrigerator, you can eat it for one year.
I recommend making ginger extract with unrefined sugar or palm sugar that is good for your body.
I like to make large quantities of ginger extract at once because it takes so much effort and time to make it once. But once I make it, I feel so happy and relieved because I can drink it like medicine whenever I'm not feeling well.
Ginger strengthens the heart, lowers blood pressure, and lowers blood cholesterol. Gingerol, which gives off the spicy taste of ginger, has the effect of warming the stomach, so it is good for indigestion and bloating, and also there is nothing as good as ginger for detoxification. If you have a bad heart or stomach, you must try this ;)
Prep: 120 hours
Cook: 90 mins
Total: 210 mins
• 4kg fresh ginger 1. Soak ginger in cold water for 10 minutes and wash it thoroughly. If there is a lot of dirt on it, you can use a brush. You can make ginger tea by adding 1 - 2 teaspoons of ginger extract in a cup of hot water! Also, you can add a black tea bag and make a ginger black tea ;) It’s better than any other medicine! ▶️ 3Speak
• 2kg palm sugar or unrefined sugar
• 40g 100% ginger powder
2. Slice the ginger thinly. *If you have a juicer, you can skip this process and make a ginger juice with whole ginger.
3. Grind the ginger by adding a little bit of water to a blender.
4. Pour ground ginger into a strainer.
5. Use a cheesecloth or milk filter to squeeze all the juice from the ground ginger.
6. Set aside ginger juice for an hour to two hours for the starch to settle.
7. Drain only the top layer of the ginger juice in the pot and through away the starch.
8. In a pot add 2kg palm sugar and 40g ginger powder and mix with ginger juice with a spatula.
9. Boil until thicker over medium heat(takes about one hour). Keep stirring while boiling.
10. Sterilize jars and cool them down.
11. When the ginger extract cools, pour in the jars.
1. Soak ginger in cold water for 10 minutes and wash it thoroughly. If there is a lot of dirt on it, you can use a brush.
You can make ginger tea by adding 1 - 2 teaspoons of ginger extract in a cup of hot water! Also, you can add a black tea bag and make a ginger black tea ;) It’s better than any other medicine!