Image source: Pixabay
Hello and welcome to the The Ink Well weekly fiction prompt. The Ink Well is a Hive blockchain-based social media community of creative writers. If you love to write short stories, we invite you to join us. Or peruse the work of our community members.
Important Community Notes
Before we get to the prompt, we have a few important words for anyone new, and those unfamiliar with how we work here in The Ink Well.
The Ink Well is about creativity, quality, community, and engagement. This means that just dropping by to post some stuff is not acceptable. We ask the following:
- Please take the time to get to know the community and read other writers' work. Everyone who posts in The Ink Well is expected to read and comment on at least two other stories for each piece you post.
- See our catalog of fiction writing tips and make use of our resources. (Many of our writers are developing awesome skills, and you can too!)
- Put some effort into your posts. Review and edit your content for errors.
Before you post in our community, please be sure to read the community rules (right side of the page) where we outline the "do's and don'ts" for posting in The Ink Well. If you only use a mobile phone and can't see them, you can read them here.
Our community rules are designed to make our community a safe, welcoming, plagiarism-free space for self-publishing original short stories.
Okay! Let's review fiction entries from last week's prompt and launch a new one.
Stories From the Previous Week
Thank you to everyone who posted a story for last week's “Three words: island, witch, cake," which invited The Ink Well authors to write stories that included these three words. We received some truly amazing stories, including several that portrayed kind and benevolent witches.
Here are the week's stories. Be sure to read and support these authors for their work!
- Room No. 13, by @sunnyag
- Isla Nocturne, by @generikat
- Valley of Dothan, by @mrenglish
- Seed of Faith, by @cool08
- Do Witches Still Exist, by @coolkris
- The Lonely Witch, by @b0s
- Scars of Kindness, by @readthisplease
- Witch, Island, and Cake, by @iyimoga
- Island, Witch, Cake, by @milezofplay
- The Fanciful Wedding in Umueze, by @chidubem26
- A Ragya Sheda, by @kei2
- Upside Down, by @sonofremi
- The Return of the Atlantic Royal, by @kemmyb
- The Selection of Celtic Witches, by @katleya
- Tranquility Island, by @jadams2k18
- The Witch in Rama, by @dwixer
- Document Tau Ceti e, by @ricardo993
- A Witch's Tongue, by @mondraye
- Konan, by @ji33y
- The Imprisoned Witch, by @mcluz
- A Little Favour, by @lover-boy
- Nana and the Night Palace, by @yuki-nee
- A Trip to Home Town, by @faithann
- Island, Witch and Cake, by danladi
- Madame Dubois Wins at Family Feud in Real Life, by @deeanndmathews
- Witch Reborn, by @mrnightmare.net
- State of Emergency, by @daveyjones7
- A Piece of Cake, by @diebitch
- Game Friend, by @vincric
- Witches Among Blue Butterflies, by @gracielaacevedo.
- The Witch Hunt of Burnt Cake Island, by @wrestlingdesires
This Week’s Prompt
Continuing with our spooky, Halloween-inspired prompts for October, this week's prompt is: full moon.
Of course, a full moon does not always have to be ominous or frightening. You can choose to incorporate the full moon into your story as you wish.
Get creative! We look forward to reading your stories!
Note: As always, please avoid gory, bloody, brutal, sexist or racist themes and language, NSFW (not safe for work) themes, and stories featuring abuse of women, children or animals.
If you don't feel inspired by this prompt or the featured image, feel free to peruse any of our past prompts or our collection of idea-generators:
Weekly Prompt Rules:
- Deadline: You have a week to write for the prompt, until the next one is posted. (Note: You can write for any of the prompts anytime. This is just a guideline to be included in the weekly round-up in the next prompt post.)
- Story link: Post your story in The Ink Well community, and post a link to your story in a comment on this post.
- Hashtags: Please use these hashtags: #fiction #writing #inkwellprompt #theinkwell.
- COMMUNITY SUPPORT: Visit the work of at least two other community members and comment on their work.
- Title: The title is up to you. You can come up with any title you wish. You do not need to name it after the prompt or include the prompt word.
- Images: Please only use images from license free and creative commons sites, like Pixabay, Unsplash and Pexels. Images you find on the Internet are copyright protected and cannot be used. Be sure to provide the source link.
- Length (NEW!): We request that story word counts are 1,000 to 1,500 words maximum length. This is just a guideline. Longer stories tend to get fewer readers. Additionally, The Ink Well admins appreciate keeping to that maximum story length for our time management!
Reminder: Be sure to also read our community rules. The reason for the repeat reminder is that we see many stories describing brutality of women, children, or animals, or that have excessive gore or violence, and we must mute them. Please do not post these stories in The Ink Well. We want our community to be a safe and comfortable place for all readers.
Here are the past prompts if you would like to use them or refer back to them:
- #1: Heart and Soul
- #2: The moment when...
- #3: Beauty with a twist
- #4: The Way Home
- #5: A Matter of Time
- #6 50 Story Ideas
- #7 The Library
- #8 All the way to tomorrow
- #9 Legend
- #10 Three Words
- #11 World Building
- #12 Childhood Summers
- #13 50 Imagination Ticklers
- #14 Railroad
- #15 Cats - 750 words
- #16 Your Birthday
- #17 Action, Dialog and Narrative
- #18 Change
- #19 Tea Time or Tee Time?
- #20 Summer Camp
- #21 Main Street
- #22 Fireworks
- #23 Picnic
- #24 Run
- #25 A word of advice
- #26 Winding road
- #27 Mirror
- #28 Shipwreck
- #29 School Notes
- #30 Three Words: Scooter, River, Midnight
- #31 Flash Fiction Contest
- #32 A Fork in the Road
- #33 Shadows
- #34 Three Words: Island, Witch, Cake
Thank you for being a part of The Ink Well!
We also invite you to follow The Ink Well curation trail on the Hive blockchain, at https://hive.vote/. Simply navigate to the curation trail section and search for theinkwell (all one word with no @ symbol) and our trail will pop up as an option.
Similarly delegations are possible on Hive using the fantastic https://peakd.com/ Hive Blockchain front end. If you wish to delegate to @theinkwell, you can do this from the wallet section of https://peakd.com/
@jayna, @agmoore, @gracielaacevedo, @iamraincrystal, @generikat, @marlyncabrera, @owasco, @preparedwombat, @marcybetancourt, @zeurich, @barge, @lacrucita, @stormcharmer, @adncabrera, @vision-of-esca, @josemalavem, @morey-lezama, @sayury, @rypo01, @evagavilan2 and @bertrayo.