Image source: TheDigitalArtist on Pixabay
Hello and welcome to the The Ink Well weekly fiction prompt. The Ink Well is a Hive blockchain-based social media community of creative writers. If you love to write short stories, we invite you to join us. Or peruse the work of our community members.
Important Community Notes
Before you post in our community, please be sure to read the community rules (right side of the page) where we outline the "do's and don'ts" for posting in The Ink Well. If you only use a mobile phone and can't see them, you can read them here.
Our community rules are designed to make our community a safe, welcoming, plagiarism-free space for self-publishing original short stories.
Please Read Stories by Your Fellow Writers!
Authors, please read and comment on other writers' stories. We request that you read at least two stories weekly, or two stories for each one you publish in The Ink Well. It only takes a little time, and this ensures that we have a thriving and supportive community. It also builds your following and improves your rewards!
Also note that we only select stories for the periodic highlights magazine by authors who are engaging with other members' posts. Thank you to all of the community members who have taken the time to read other authors' work and provide comments.
Okay! Let's review fiction entries from last week's prompt and launch a new one.
Stories From the Previous Week
Thank you to everyone who posted a story for last week's prompt, “Mirror," which invited The Ink Well authors to write stories about mirrors, reflections, vanity, and the symbolism of mirrors, which can reflect back to us our best selves or our deepest hurts.
Here are the week's stories. Be sure to read and support these authors for their work! We have also featured several of these stories in The Ink Well Highlights Magazine from August 22.
- Deep Down, by @sofs-su
- The Feminine Principle, by @litguru
- The Scent of Apple Pie, by @diebitch
- Diana Was Not Happy, by @sunnyag
- My Desert Adventure, by @wrestlingdesires
- The Heist, by @hillarypowers
- Smoking Mirror, by @ricardo993
- Memories of Dear George, by @kemmyb
- Her Reflection, by @ubani1
- The Same Mirror, by @iyimoga
- In Search of, by @justclickindiva
- On the Other Side of the Mirror, by @amirtheawesome1
- The Mysterious Mirrors of the Cappelletti Family, by @katleya
- Mirror on the Wall, by @dwixer
- The Strange Mirror, by @cryptofi
- A Mirror Reflection of Beauty and My Unborn Child, by @danladi
- Seeking Justice From Three Sides of the Looking Glass, by @deeanndmathews
- The Medicine Man in the Church, by @mcluz
- Countdown, by @bruno-kema
- A Lovely Girl, by @vincric
This Week’s Prompt
The prompt for this week is Shipwreck.
With this prompt, we invite you to spin a tale of the stormy seas casting ships against rocky shores, or whatever your imagination delivers when contemplating a shipwreck.
Perhaps pirates and sunken treasure come to mind. Or mermaids who rescue sailors from sinking vessels. Or haunted ships that are still believed to sail on stormy nights, carrying the souls of those who perished. And of course a sci-fi shipwreck story or even historical fiction could be great fun.
Where will your imagination take you? Tell us a story!
Note: As always, please avoid gory, bloody, brutal, sexist or racist themes and language, NSFW (not safe for work) themes, and stories featuring abuse of women, children or animals.
If you don't feel inspired by this prompt or the featured image, feel free to peruse any of our past prompts or our collection of idea-generators:
Weekly Prompt Rules:
- Deadline: You have a week to write for the prompt, until the next one is posted. (Note: You can write for any of the prompts anytime. This is just a guideline to be included in the weekly round-up of highlights.)
- Story link: Post your story in The Ink Well community, and post a link to your story in a comment on this post.
- Hashtags: Please use these hashtags: #fiction #writing #inkwellprompt #theinkwell.
- COMMUNITY SUPPORT: Visit the work of at least two other community members and comment on their work.
- Title: The title is up to you. You can come up with any title you wish. You do not need to name it after the prompt or include the prompt word.
- Images: Please only use images from license free and creative commons sites, like Pixabay, Unsplash and Pexels. Images you find on the Internet are copyright protected and cannot be used. Be sure to provide the source link.
Reminder: Be sure to also read our community rules. The reason for the repeat reminder is that we see many stories describing brutality of women or innocent childrent, or that have excessive gore or violence, and we must mute them. Please do not post these stories in The Ink Well. We want our community to be a safe and comfortable place for all readers.
Here are the past prompts if you would like to use them or refer back to them:
- #1: Heart and Soul
- #2: The moment when...
- #3: Beauty with a twist
- #4: The Way Home
- #5: A Matter of Time
- #6 50 Story Ideas
- #7 The Library
- #8 All the way to tomorrow
- #9 Legend
- #10 Three Words
- #11 World Building
- #12 Childhood Summers
- #13 50 Imagination Ticklers
- #14 Railroad
- #15 Cats - 750 words
- #16 Your Birthday
- #17 Action, Dialog and Narrative
- #18 Change
- #19 Tea Time or Tee Time?
- #20 Summer Camp
- #21 Main Street
- #22 Fireworks
- #23 Picnic
- #24 Run
- #25 A word of advice
- #26 Winding road
- #27 Mirror
We look forward to reading your stories!
We also invite you to follow The Ink Well curation trail on the Hive blockchain, at https://hive.vote/. Simply navigate to the curation trail section and search for theinkwell (all one word with no @ symbol) and our trail will pop up as an option.
Similarly delegations are possible on Hive using the fantastic https://peakd.com/ Hive Blockchain front end. If you wish to delegate to @theinkwell, you can do this from the wallet section of https://peakd.com/
@jayna, @agmoore, @gracielaacevedo, @iamraincrystal, @generikat, @marlyncabrera, @owasco, @preparedwombat, @marcybetancourt, @zeurich, @barge, @lacrucita, @stormcharmer, @adncabrera, @vision-of-esca, @josemalavem, @morey-lezama, @sayury, @rypo01, @evagavilan2 and @bertrayo.