Image source: guvo59 on Pixabay
Hello and welcome to the The Ink Well weekly fiction prompt. The Ink Well is a Hive blockchain-based social media community of creative writers. If you love to write short stories, we invite you to join us. Or peruse the work of our community members.
Important Community Notes
Before you post in our community, please be sure to read the community rules (right side of the page) where we outline the "do's and don'ts" for posting in The Ink Well. If you only use a mobile phone and can't see them, you can read them here.
Our community rules are designed to make our community a safe, welcoming, plagiarism-free space for self-publishing original short stories.
Please Read Stories by Your Fellow Writers!
Authors, please read and comment on other writers' stories. We request that you read at least two stories weekly, or two stories for each one you publish in The Ink Well. It only takes a little time, and this ensures that we have a thriving and supportive community.
Also note that we only select stories for the weekly highlights magazine by authors who are engaging with other members' posts. Thank you to all of the community members who have taken the time to read other authors' work and provide comments.
Okay! Let's review fiction entries from last week and start a new prompt.
Stories From the Previous Week
Thank you to everyone who posted a story for last week's prompt, “Picnic," which invited The Ink Well authors to write about picnics, and the circumstances large and small that bring people together to dine outdoors. We received some excellent entries!
Here are the week's stories. Be sure to read and support these authors for their work! We've noted the prompt stories that were showcased in The Ink Well Highlights Magazine from July 12.
- Love at First Sight?, by @diebitch SHOWCASE STORY
- Under the Moonlight, by @aimharryianne SHOWCASE STORY
- In Memoriam, by @bruno-kema SHOWCASE STORY
- Our Last and Special Picnic, by @smartgirl5
- Carmen Leah, the mischievous Luna and the different picnic, by @katleya
- The Family Picnic, by @dwixer
- Lily's Birthday Picnic, by @evegrace
- Proposal Gone Wrong, by @mcluz
- Treating the Lazy Young Ones, by @iyimoga
- That Picnic Day, by @mrnightmare.net
- A Picnic Like No Other, by @wrestlingdesires
- The Funnies Picnic of My Life, by @sunnyag
- Admiring Wrong Things, @ricardo993
- A Perfect Match, by @hillarypowers
- How to Find a Fan and a Family For No Money On the Way to a Picnic, by @deeanndmathews
- Ben's New Friend, by @kemmyb
This Week’s Prompt
The prompt for this week is Run.
This is a prompt that is wide open to interpretation!
Why do people run? They run for exercise. They run to get somewhere fast, or to get away from something fast. They run out of fear, excitement and joy. Children run because they have boundless energy. And sometimes they run away from home.
Tell us a story about running... whatever the motivation of your character might be. Oh, and of course you are not limited to humans. People are not the only beings that run.
Where will your imagination take you?
Note: As always, please avoid gory, bloody, brutal, sexist or racist themes and language, NSFW (not safe for work) themes, and stories featuring abuse of women, children or animals.
If you don't feel inspired by this prompt or the featured image, feel free to peruse any of our past prompts or our collection of idea-generators:
Weekly Prompt Rules:
- Deadline: You have a week to write for the prompt, until the next one is posted. (Note: You can write for any of the prompts anytime. This is just a guideline to be included in the weekly round-up of highlights.)
- Hashtags: Please use these hashtags: #fiction #writing #inkwellprompt #theinkwell.
- Story link: Post a link to your story in a comment on this post.
- COMMUNITY SUPPORT: Visit the work of at least two other community members and comment on their work.
- Title: The title is up to you. You can come up with any title you wish. You do not need to name it after the prompt or include the prompt word.
- Images: Please only use images from license free and creative commons sites, like Pixabay, Unsplash and Pexels. Images you find on the Internet are copyright protected and cannot be used. Be sure to provide the source link.
Reminder: Be sure to also read our community rules. The reason for the repeat reminder is that we see many stories describing brutality of women or that have excessive gore, and we must mute them. Please do not post these stories in The Ink Well. We want our community to be a safe and comfortable place for all readers.
Here are the past prompts if you would like to use them or refer back to them:
- #1: Heart and Soul
- #2: The moment when...
- #3: Beauty with a twist
- #4: The Way Home
- #5: A Matter of Time
- #6 50 Story Ideas
- #7 The Library
- #8 All the way to tomorrow
- #9 Legend
- #10 Three Words
- #11 World Building
- #12 Childhood Summers
- #13 50 Imagination Ticklers
- #14 Railroad
- #15 Cats - 750 words
- #16 Your Birthday
- #17 Action, Dialog and Narrative
- #18 Change
- #19 Tea Time or Tee Time?
- #20 Summer Camp
- #21 Main Street
- #22 Fireworks
- #23 Picnic
We look forward to reading your stories!
@jayna, @agmoore and @gracielaacevedo
We would like to invite lovers of creative writing to visit The Ink Well, a Hive community started by @raj808 and @stormlight24 and run by @jayna, @agmoore and @gracielaacevedo.
We also invite you to follow The Ink Well curation trail on the Hive blockchain, at https://hive.vote/. Simply navigate to the curation trail section and search for theinkwell (all one word with no @ symbol) and our trail will pop up as an option.
Similarly delegations are possible on Hive using the fantastic https://peakd.com/ Hive Blockchain front end. If you wish to delegate to @theinkwell, you can do this from the wallet section of https://peakd.com/
@jayna, @agmoore, @gracielaacevedo, @iamraincrystal, @generikat, @marlyncabrera, @owasco, @preparedwombat, @marcybetancourt, @zeurich, @barge, @lacrucita, @stormcharmer, @adncabrera, @vision-of-esca, @josemalavem, @morey-lezama, @sayury, @rypo01, @evagavilan2 and @bertrayo.
Click banner to visit our community page