Image source: Greyerbaby
Hello and welcome to the The Ink Well weekly fiction prompt. The Ink Well is a Hive blockchain-based social media community of creative writers. If you love to write short stories, we invite you to join us. Or peruse the work of our community members.
Before you post in our community, please be sure to read the community rules (right side of the page) where we outline the "do's and don'ts" for posting in The Ink Well. If you only use a mobile phone and can't see them, you can read them here.
Our community rules are designed to make our community a safe, welcoming, plagiarism-free space for self-publishing original short stories.
Community engagement: Authors, please remember that reading and commenting on other writers' stories is one of our community rules. For each piece you publish, please read at least two others. This ensures that we have a thriving community, and that every story receives views, votes and comments. It only takes a little time, and as we all know it means a lot to writers to have their work read by others!
Also note that we only select stories for the weekly highlights magazine by authors who are engaging with other members' posts. Thank you to all of the community members who have taken the time to read other authors' work and provide comments.
Okay! Let's review fiction entries from last week and start a new prompt.
Stories From the Previous Week
Thank you to everyone who posted a story for last week's prompt, “Action, Dialog and Narrative," which challenged writers to weave together these three elements into a short story. Optionally, writers could also use the image supplied in the prompt.
Thank you to those of you who tackled this. It is always a joy to see the stories that emerge from our writing prompts!
Here are the week's stories. Be sure to read and support these authors for their work! We've noted the stories that were showcased in The Ink Well Highlights Magazine from May 30.
- The Great Wide Open, by @cliffagreen SHOWCASE STORY
- San Martin's Novel SHOWCASE STORY
- She Lost It, by @marlyncabrera
- The Siblings, by @ricardo993
- Coloured Elephant, by @gracielaacevedo
- Winter, by @riottales
- From the Fire, by @bruno-kema
- Action, Dialog and Narrative, by @iyimoga
- Silent Prayers, by @young-boss-karin
- Gilbert Dubois Makes His Biggest Journey, by @deeanndmathews
- Kumadra, by @dwixer
- Accept or Die, by @ubani1
- Off Road, by @jayna
This Week’s Prompt
The prompt for this week is Change.
For this prompt, think of the word "change" and let your imagination take you wherever it wants to go. The word has many possible interpretations. For example, it could be something enormous happening, like a dictator taking over as the head of state in a country. Or it could be a child moving away from his best friend. It could be good change, like a woman selecting a whole new wardrobe to remake herself after a divorce. Or it could be coins in the crumpled hat of a beggar. Where will your imagination take you?
Note: As always, please avoid gory, bloody, brutal, sexist or racist themes and language.
If you don't feel inspired by this prompt or the featured image, feel free to peruse any of our past prompts or our collection of idea-generators:
Weekly Prompt Rules:
- Deadline: You have a week to write for the prompt, until the next one is posted. (Note: You can write for any of the prompts anytime. This is just a guideline to be included in the weekly round-up of highlights.)
- Hashtags: Please use these hashtags: #fiction #writing #inkwellprompt #theinkwell.
- Story link: Post a link to your story in a comment on this post.
- Community support: Visit the work of at least two other community members and comment on their work.
- Title: The title is up to you. You can come up with any title you wish. You do not need to name it after the prompt or include the prompt word.
- Images: Please only use images from license free and creative commons sites, like Pixabay, Unsplash and Pexels. Images you find on the Internet are copyright protected and cannot be used. Be sure to provide the source link.
Reminder: Be sure to also read our community rules. The reason for the repeat reminder is that we see many stories describing brutality of women or that have excessive gore, and we must mute them. Please do not post these stories in The Ink Well. We want our community to be a safe and comfortable place for all readers.
Here are the past prompts if you would like to use them or refer back to them:
- #1: Heart and Soul
- #2: The moment when...
- #3: Beauty with a twist
- #4: The Way Home
- #5: A Matter of Time
- #6 50 Story Ideas
- #7 The Library
- #8 All the way to tomorrow
- #9 Legend
- #10 Three Words
- #11 World Building
- #12 Childhood Summers
- #13 50 Imagination Ticklers
- #14 Railroad
- #15 Cats - 750 words
- #16 Your Birthday
- #17 Action, Dialog and Narrative
We look forward to reading your stories!
We also invite you to follow The Ink Well curation trail on the Hive blockchain, at https://hive.vote/. Simply navigate to the curation trail section and search for theinkwell (all one word with no @ symbol) and our trail will pop up as an option.
Similarly delegations are possible on Hive using the fantastic https://peakd.com/ Hive Blockchain front end. If you wish to delegate to @theinkwell, you can do this from the wallet section of https://peakd.com/
@jayna, @agmoore, @gracielaacevedo, @iamraincrystal, @generikat, @marlyncabrera, @owasco, @preparedwombat, @marcybetancourt, @zeurich, @barge, @lacrucita, @stormcharmer, @adncabrera, @vision-of-esca, @josemalavem, @morey-lezama, @sayury, @rypo01, @evagavilan2 and @bertrayo.