This is the first year that the 2nd portrait of Elizabeth II is engraved in the full sovereign coin.
Elizabeth II's head is facing right wearing a coronet. She is wearing the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland tiara. The initials of the designer do not appear, and the truncation is blank. Arnold Machin was the engraver
St. George is mounted in a horse holding a sword, attacking the dragon. The date appears below the exergue line at the bottom. The initials of the engraver Benedetto Pistrucci is to the right.
We refer to the design of the obverse as the "long neck" Elizabeth. I love this profile of Elizabeth II. It is one of her effigies that is well-loved.
I have shown you these gold pieces:
- 1974 Queen Elizabeth II Gold Sovereign Coin
- 2022 Gold American Eagle
- 1897 France Gold 20 Franc Lucky Angel
- 2022 Australia Gold Lunar Year of the Tiger
- 60th Anniversary Great Britain Gold Sovereign
- 1877 France Gold 20 Francs Lucky Angel
- 2021 Gold American Eagle Type2
- 1907 Great Britain Gold Half Sovereign
- 1907 France Gold 20 Francs Rooster BU
- 1955 Mexico Cinco Pesos BU
- 1927 Swiss 20 Francs Gold Helvetia BU
- 1908 France Gold 20 Francs Rooster BU
- 1892 Austrian 20 Francs/8 Florin Gold Coin BU
- 2021 Gold PG&G BU
- 2021 Gold American Eagle, MS70 First Strike