I will hold a 3-day Math contest for July 2021, starting on July 28 (Wednesday) at 03:00 P.M. (UTC +8), which will officially end after July 31 (Saturday) at 02:59 P.M. 🤓
This contest has significant changes to rules compared to those of the previous 5 months. 😎
The Math problems would normally be answerable by a competent high school student. 🤓 Those problems would be posted on the D.Buzz community with the "spirit" of D.Buzz, where I would post the problems within the 280-character limit and without using images to circumvent that limit. 😅
Another 7 HIVE total will be awarded to the correct answerers of this contest! 💰
Compared to the May 2021 Math contest, these are the changes:
- Any Math problem from algebra, geometry, trigonometry, number theory, probability, and statistics may be asked. The May 2021 contest had only trigonometry problems (and April 2021 on geometry). 🤯
- There will be 2 problems posted per day at exactly 12-hour intervals, with a total of 6 problems posted in the span of 72 hours. Each participant may receive the 1 HIVE prize only once a day, but can still participate and be the official winner for each problem. Participants are still encouraged to leave their answers to every problem to increase the chances of receiving the prize of an extra 1 HIVE at the end of the contest for having the highest number of correct answers for this month's contest. This rule is necessary to minimize the disadvantage of people who are either too busy or sleeping at the time the problems used to get published (every 03:00 P.M., UTC+8). 😎 More of this on the "Official Rules" below. 👇
- If there is no one who receives the prize for a problem, the 1 HIVE prize will be added to the "Prize Pool" instead of getting distributed to the previous winners right away. More of this also on the "Official Rules" below. 👇
- The requirement for participants to post on D.Buzz has been removed. We hope this would increase the number of participating users in this month's Math contest and those of the next several months. 🤗
Because of the length of the rules, I have divided this section into General rules and Rules for winners and prizes. 😅
- I will publish a Math problem every 12 hours starting on July 28, 2021 (Wednesday) at 03:00 P.M. (GMT+8) for 3 days. The problem will be posted on the D.Buzz community with the #mathematics tag. I will use #PeakD's post scheduling feature to ensure that every day's problem gets published, and on time. Since there might be unexpected technical difficulties, please don't blame anybody if the problem doesn't get published on time.
- I will post the solution for the problem on the #StemGeeks community, tagging the winner and/or prize awardee, if there is one. I will also tag other participants of the problem and active participants of my previous Math mini-contests (plus supporters).
- Any interested and qualified participant must comment his or her answer on my post containing the Math problem. Posting the answer anywhere else will make it invalid.
- Participants are allowed to ask for help in solving the Math problem. Participants may tag other users to answer the problem.
- The answer does NOT need to be accompanied by its solution or explanation. However, showing the solution and its explanation might help in case the participant's answer appears different from the actual answer. This also allows the participant to impress the audience (assuming his or her answer is correct)! 😆
- Answers must be in lowest term (if fractional) and have the appropriate units (when applicable) unless already specified in the problem. Otherwise, the answer shall be considered incorrect.
- I will not tag any user on every Math problem I post, except supporters (such as @dbuzz). That is to help make sure that no participant gets an "unfair" reminder for any of my problems posted.
- I will not reply to any participant's comment until after the 12-hour answering period has passed. That includes participants' answers, or questions about the problem. This is to avoid influencing the answers of any participant. If I have any clarifications regarding any problem, I would put it as a comment on the problem without tagging any participant. I may still upvote any comment with the answer, regardless of whether the answer is correct or not.
- My decision as to what the correct answer is (or correct answers are) for each Math problem shall be final. Participants are still encouraged to prove that his or her answer is correct in case it is not accepted for a problem.
- Participants who have been found to be cheating will be disqualified. Cheating includes, but is not limited to, using of multiple accounts owned or controlled by the same person to submit different answers for a single problem in an attempt to snatch the prize.
- I may change these rules anytime. It is recommended that people interested in my Math mini-contest read these rules from time to time, especially if the user is a participant.
Rules for winners and prizes
- A participant may attempt to answer all problems, but may receive a prize only once a day. Each "contest day" starts at 03:00 P.M. (UTC+8) and ends after 02:59 P.M. the next day. The first problem for the contest day will be labeled with "Problem A", and the second problem will be labeled with "Problem B". If the participant wins and receives the 1 HIVE prize in Problem A, he or she will no longer receive the prize in Problem B but will still be considered the "Official Winner" for the problem, and the second participant to answer the problem correctly (if there is one) will instead receive the 1 HIVE prize and named the "Prize Awardee". Nevertheless, if the participant wins and receives the prize for Problem B, he or she can win and receive the prize for the next day's Problem A.
- The winner for a problem shall always be the first qualified participant who submitted the correct answer within the 12-hour period from the time the problem is published. Editing the answer is allowed. If the participant has submitted more than one answer, only his or her latest answer will be valid.
- The prize awardee for any given problem shall receive 1 HIVE directly on his or her Hive account used to participate on the contest. The reward will be sent soon after the 12-hour answering period for the correctly-answered problem has passed and the winner has been announced.
- Whenever nobody received the prize for a problem, the prize of 1 HIVE for the problem shall be added to the "Prize Pool". There will already be 1 HIVE in the Prize Pool at the start of the contest. At the end of the contest, all the HIVE in the Prize Pool will be distributed proportionally to the participants depending on how many times the participants won by leaving the correct answer first (not necessarily who received the most HIVE prize for this month's contest).
😁😎 Good luck to all participants, and enjoy! 😎😁
You might be interested in the links below regarding my previously hosted Math mini-contests! 👇
- Summary of the January 2021 Math mini-contest for D.Buzz
- Official rules for the February 2021 Math mini-contest for D.Buzz
- Summary of the February 2021 Math mini-contest for D.Buzz
- Official rules for the March 2021 week-long Math mini-contest for D.Buzz
- Summary of the March 2021 week-long Math mini-contest for D.Buzz
- Official rules for the April 2021 week-long Math mini-contest for D.Buzz
- Summary of the April 2021 week-long Math mini-contest for D.Buzz
I announced a break from hosting Math mini-contests for last month (June 2021) because of only one participant for the entire 7-day contest period. 😅
Participants of the previous Math contests: @minus-pi, @jfang003, @eturnerx (@eturnerx-dbuzz), @holovision, @appukuttan66, and @ahmadmanga (@ahmadmangazap) 🤓🤓🤓
Special mentions: @chrisrice, @jancharlest, @lolxsbudoy, and @mehmetfix 🤯🤯🤯