I've fallen and I can't get up - bathroom edition


I spent the early evening on the bathroom floor today. Maybe it was about 3 hours I was lying there.

And then midnight to 6:30 am I was stuck on the toilet unable to get off of it. I was too weak to even be able to fall off.

This is mostly because I am so weak now, but also because the toilet is so low. It has always been a challenge for me, but today is the first (and second) catastrophe.

The toilet is low by Western standards, but high for SE Asia. My knees are about 4 inches higher than my hips when I am sitting there. This configuration is why it is hard for me to get up.

I ended up on the floor when I tried to get up and fell. I did not hurt myself in the fall, Praise God, but I could not find a way up. I would try something, fail, and then lie back down again and think.

After about 3 hours, a husband and wife who live here came home and helped me up.

At this point I thought that the problem was my slippery shower shoes. After a rest, I went back with better shoes, but as soon as I tried to get up, I couldn't.

So I spent the night on the toilet until one of the girls that lives here came down for work. She went and got another man who lives here, and they both picked me up.

As soon as they let go, down I fell again. My legs just gave out after sitting on the toilet so long.

So they got me up again, and the man walked me to my bed. This is where I will be for the foreseeable future.

The wonderful soundproofing of this condo is why no one heard me screaming for help when I did. Usually I like the lack of tenant noise, but today it was not my friend.

I will not be using the toilet any time soon. I will have to get creative in some way. I think one of those high seats you can add to the toilet seat might help. Those are very expensive and so it would be great if someone I know here in Kuala Lumpur has one they are not using. You never know.

My post today is for the daily freewrite by @mariannewest. Today's prompt words are "you need help" and yes, I surely do.


Lucky for me, I do get a lot of help, and only wish I could do more for others.

Right before this all started, I was feeling better and ready to work for a few hours. Now I feel exhausted and will try to sleep. Hopefully when I wake up, I will feel better again. Maybe this will be a passing anomaly and I will continue to heal from edema.

I'm still on the phone and my computer should be back from the shop by Friday. I am not answering many comments with this dumb and slow phone, but I read them all and I am so grateful for all of you.

My photo for this post is showing the worst of my legs from a few days ago. I'm WAY less inflamed now and feel my showering off the gunk strategy is working. You can read about this strategy in detail on my recent @fitinfunfood posts if you are interested.

Yes, this strategy is exhausting, and true it is not easy. Now I guess it is making me weak as a tick. But anything that gets this edema fluid out of me, is what I will try.

Praying, praying, praying...

3 columns
2 columns
1 column