Growing up into a writer, three things shaped me, or should I say formed most of the ideologies I embodied and this was life, love and psychology. I read a lot of Robert Burns' poems especially "A Red, Red Rose,” by Robert Burns" this wasn't simply because I was a poet already. The one thing that compelled me into writing when I was 17 was because not the fact that I felt life wasn't fair and there wasn't anything extraordinary about it except that life was paradoxical and most phenomenon didn't match. As a 17-year old I feel in love for the first time and it was a horrible experience, the fact that I couldn't cope with the pain unleashed a part of me that wasn't there.
Truth is, there's no limitations to the views a person can have about life this is because there is always a contradiction to everything that seems sacrosanct. The Nigerian poet John Pepper Clark's mind bending poem Abiku explained the phenomenon of reincarnation not that I believed it, but his ability to weave, paint and describe such an explicit belief held by some people only made me create the mindset that nothing can be totally false or totally true. The culpability to tilt to one rather than the other, is the believability of the originator to be impressive and convincing enough. My views as a 17-year old about love made me look for ways to justify the cruelty that comes with it and it made me search deeper, I bumped across poetry and I discovered that I tapped into an inner self; a sense of self loathing, self inferiority and agony.
Love didn't just definitely it all, there was this other aspect of life which was corruption in politics One of the main reasons why I wrote and still write about corruption in politics is because i came from a country where the system is totally rotten and there was this sadness i derived from seeing how better my country could have turned out but vices like greed, mischief and ostentatious lifestyles of public servant made it otherwise. There was this particular poem Ambassador Of Poverty it was written by P.O.C Umeh and it was a satarical piece that made use of humor to berate the sophisticated corrupt system in the republic of Nigeria. Reading this poem as a 20 year after three years of my writing conquest was really iconic for me. I hated the way the system works, it kills talent, it kills creativity and it kills careers and dreams, when I further read Gbemisola Adeoti's Ambushit galvanized this pain, it raised an awareness and awakened a certain fire
Studying people's most distinct behaviors, their lifestyle, way of life and cultural also arose a kind of pattern or mindset through which I wrote. The society is 95% the motivation behind the creativeness of most creative people, the remaining 5% might be near death experiences (NDE), or a personal experience with something that's above natural an example of such poem is George Herbert's The Pulley and Henry Vaughan's The Retreat, with these poems i realised that sometimes the most personal experience can serve as a mind boggling observation that can either entertain, enthrall, shock or even bemuse. However not to deviate, personal observations into people's behaviour on all terms has helped me carve a kind of caricaturic style of writing a nd this is because I pay attention to details and I use them to form the basis through which I create most times.
It's difficult sometimes to be utterly creative and this is because the mind doesn't function again at the topmost level. Life's needs and wants as well as issue drains the reservoir and even when each and everyday in the life of a creative person connotes something totally different and forms new experience to base a writing upon. Sometimes distractions is a huge blockage and when we can't be emotionally ready to draw inspirations from the neighbouring environs staying creative becomes nearly impossible. In my case I've had no reason to be unproductive and in my journey so far I've come to understand that improvement comes with acceptance to a fault.
Interested in some more of my works?
My name is @Josediccus, a young Nigerian student who is a Dtuber, 📷 Psychologist, Poet And Sports Writer/Analyst. I'm using my contents as a process to create shared meaning as well as create expressions through which people on/off steem can relate. I believe content is a process to be enjoyed and relished and I'm up for any collaborations in my field stated above. Cheers
@Josediccus, your brother in pen and video 📷
*I'm hoping to reach more people who are broken at heart and spirit, so share on any platform or rehive