Have you recovered from the earworm last week when I shared my Baby Shark Hat project? If not, I'm sorry (I'm really not) because here's the missing piece in the baby shark ensemble I created: the Baby Shark Romper. This costume is for a first birthday photoshoot and I can't wait to see the photos of the cute baby modeling my creation! If I had the time and if I had known I still know how to crochet back then, I would have created a monthly photoshoot for my daughter modeling my crochet projects too.
This creation was inspired by this project I found online. I only needed to change the stitch count to make sure it fits my client's little boy. As always, I have my anxiety attacks all through out the project.
What if it doesn't fit? What if my client doesn't like it? What if something went wrong? Will I make it in time?
I am such a worry wart. This is one of the big reasons I choose to make crocheting a hobby. I attempted to make it a business. I made a page. I made quite a few projects for sale. But then I haven't found my happy place in the crocheting as a business field. Most probably because my self doubt keeps pulling me back. In a way, this trait has helped keep me on my toes. I ensure that all my what ifs are covered before I send my products oy for delivery. And I follow through with my client to hear any feedback. So far, I haven't had any harsh critiques.
As suggested in the pattern I found, the romper starts from the bottom up. So I started with the back flap. I have forgotten how many stitches I made for this, I was following the measurements that my client gave me. (Yes, I taught my client how to make measurements for her baby's clothes. Heehee!) This actually gave me more pressure because there is no reason for the romper not to fit the baby because I asked for the measurements.
Once I've completed the backflap, the piece continues upward with just double crochets going all around the bodice. It is impossible to cound how many times I looked up how a romper should look like because I needed to make sure the height of the bodice have enough left for the bib which is the next part of this project.
Once the yellow part was done, I then attached the white yarn to start with the bib. I originally planned on making it entirely yellow, then I would crochet a white sorta shark belly and attach it as an applique on top of the bob down towards the front flap. At first, I tried to make that vision a reality. But as I went on, I thought of keeping it simple. The weather here in the country is quite humid and babies tend to be uncomfortable if they feel hot so I scrapped the shark belly idea.
To be honest, my stubborn self still wanted to try the shark belly idea by making an applique that will attach from the bottom of the bib downward. I think I made the right decision of not pushing through with it. The project became a lot more personalized and original.
After the bib is the straps. Again, with the pairs! Of course, these need to extend to the back where they will be attached to buttons. This part was actually an easy peasy part. While I was working on it, I was contemplating on whether I should use yellow or white yarn for the front flap. I asked @jonalyn2020's opinion and she suggested I use white to accentuate the bib. I like the idea. In a way, it still sort of goes with my original concept of having the shark belly design.
Just a side story, I met Jonalyn here in Hive. We both learn from each other. I teach her about Hive, she teaches me about crocheting. We haven't met personally but we have become friends because of this awesome platform.
Back to the romper, I went with white yarn and I'm glad I did. The entire design still looks simple - which was what I was going for, but it still sticks with the baby shark theme - which was what the client wanted. Win-win! Placing the white yarn into the yellow piece was a challenge. It had to be centered and symmetrical. It had to fit into the spot where I will put the buttons. There were a lot of trials and errors on this entire project, to be honest. But I am happy with it.
To make sure that the baby shark romper will be sturdy yet stylish, I chose to line all the edges with single crochets using yellow yarn. It somehow encases the white yarn, and I love how it looked after. So satisfying to look at the progress photos.
Once all the ends have been weaved in, the next step is to attach the buttons. I used stitch marker to hold the position where the buttons will go. I made a mental note to buy me blunted needles that will fit the small button holes. I needed to split my 8-ply polyester yarn into 4-ply because I needed to use a smaller needle. I attached a total of 5 buttons for this romper.
Et voila! The baby shark crochet romper is ready! I made sure each button is attached firmly and completely because we all know how babies are.
Since I'm not officially making any business crochetings lately, I ran of packaging so I used my daughter's leftover Manila paper and ribbons to pack the romper for delivery. My client has received it and are now scheduled for the photoshoot. Can't wait for the official pictures!
@romeskie is a full-time stay-at-home mom to a homeschooling toddler. Loves crocheting as a hobby. Maintains a mini food forest, aiming to grow more to achieve that farm-to-table homesteading. Learned how to cook after leaving the corporate world to take care of her family and is now starting to acquire basic baking skills. Learn more about her adventures and misadventures in the world of motherhood.
Connect with her through her Facebook Page: The Leftie Crocheter and on Instagram. Feel free to subscribe to her Youtube Channel: The Leftie Crocheter