DIY - Denim Coasters

I've been thinking about making a couple of these as what I have look awful, although are not so old. To be honest, I've been looking to replace them with something new but what I got was even worse at a higher price, so what's the point then?

IMG_20200706_112913a.jpg

Better create something sustainable, washable, easy to clean and reuse. This is how I ended up creating these jeans coasters.

IMG_20200706_115051a.jpg

Lucky me, I had all that was needed, so all I had to do is start working on it.

IMG_20200706_103654a.jpg

This is the coaster that needs to retire as it looks awful. As soon as it gets some water, the damage is done.

IMG_20200706_104040a.jpg

The rubber mat that I've used for my project. This is also recycled stuff, just like the jeans. I've been using this for the sewing machine mats I'm making and still have plenty. This is needed to absorb the heat and make the coaster thicker. It's washable, so it's a win-win.

The coaster was 9cm x 9cm, so is the rubber mat, it's just that doesn't have round edges. I saw no point in making it round.

IMG_20200706_104214a.jpg

After some thinking I decided to go with a 14cm x 24cm piece.

IMG_20200706_105154a.jpg

Make no mistake, I wasn't planning to use both, this is just to see how it fits.

IMG_20200706_105226a.jpg

IMG_20200706_111618a.jpg

I'm always using 1cm allowance, so here it is, sewed together, like a sack.

IMG_20200706_111638a.jpg

Perfect fit, just as I hoped.

IMG_20200706_111718a.jpg

The corners need to be cut in order to be able to turn it inside out without any problem.

IMG_20200706_111807a.jpg

Turned inside out.

IMG_20200706_112156a.jpg

It has the rubber mat already inside and it's clipped with these metal clips I'm using.

IMG_20200706_112901a.jpg

I decided to go with two lines, not only looks better but it's safer, the rubber mat stays in place, no chance it moves, not even during washing.

IMG_20200706_113026a.jpg

Then I thought why not make another one and for that I chose two pieces of jeans sewed together to be more interesting. This is the back part of the jeans.

IMG_20200706_113040a.jpg

The piece is a perfect fit for what I needed it.

IMG_20200706_115029a.jpg

This time I decided to play with it and make the sewing line like a labyrinth. At the end I'm satisfied with it, it looks good and perfect for what it meant to be but next time I need to be more careful if I'm using more that one piece. The sewing line is almost in the middle, that's where the coaster is a bit higher and the mug is not stable. It's not such a big mistake, but next time I have t make sure to use three pieces so the lines come towards the edges, that's how the cum will be sitting on these lines.

It is not decided yet but maybe I'm going to make some for sale and list them in my Etsy shop.

2N61tyyncFaFVtpM8rCsJzDgecVMtkz4jpzBsszXjhqan9nT7KeiMB9KVfUa5ijoGTf59nmtyu23kq42h3js2FP4qtCzyy5SRhpzH4rQcEazTK2M1jZFYsiF5KiM4hsgJx8VZaJLrdjU.jpg
source

#NeedleWorkMonday founder: @crosheille
Hostesses (admins): @muscara, @shanibeer and @marblely

Please feel free to check out my Etsy store.

Check out my other sewing posts:

24 Comments