When I was little, I didn't really like vegetables. But my mom is good at cooking and her cooking is always delicious, then and now. So at that time, I was willing to eat several vegetables she cooked.
One of my mom's cooks that becomes my all time favorite is eggplant balado, it's pieces of eggplants that are covered with chili sauce. My other favorite is long bean balado. As a child, I didn't like regular stir-fried long beans, but my mother cut them into small pieces and covered them with chili sauce, so they became long beans balado (chili sauce).
Usually, those two veggies are cooked separately into 2 different menus on different days. But this time I want to combine the two of them. At first I wanted to cook eggplant balado only. But there were still a few long beans left in the fridge, so I think it's better if I cook them with the eggplants.
How to cook and the result? Check this out ;)
- 3 eggplants, cut into pieces
- Long beans, cut into small pieces
Chili sauce ingredients:
Don't forget to also prepare oil, salt, and a little sugar for the cooking process.
- Add red chilies and/or cut the tomato in half for a spicier taste and more reddish color.
- Eggplant usually turns darker after cooked. To keep the eggplant purple, soak the eggplant pieces in the salt water for about 5 minutes or so.
HOW TO COOK
- While the eggplant is soaking, puree all the chili ingredients.
- After more than 5 minutes soaked in salt water, fry the eggplant until quite cooked. And then set aside.
- Heat cooking oil, then stir-fry the chili ingredients that have been mashed.
- After the chili is cooked (dries), add a little water so that the chili is not too dry / slightly gravy. Wait until it boils.
- Add long beans. Stir, cook until quite cooked.
- Add the fried eggplant, a little salt, and a little sugar. Stir, let stand a few moments until the long beans and eggplant are cooked.
- Taste it. If it fits, lift it. Eggplant & long beans balado ready to be served.
It's done! It's quite simple to cook, right? The purple and green colors are attractive and raise the appetite 😋
Are you interested to try?
Thank you for stopping by and reading this post. See you again!
All images original photo by @sigota
Camera & edit: Xiaomi mi5s