Unagi which is eel is my favorite kind of seafood! It's hard to find fresh eel here in Vietnam, but I recently found frozen Japanese Unagi at the gourmet grocery store so I started making Unadon at home a lot. If you have never heard of Unadon, Unagi Donburi or Unadon is a classic Japanese dish that consists of steamed rice topped with grilled eel fillets that are glazed with a sweetened soy-based sauce.
I wish I could get fresh eel and making Unadon from scratch but I'm still happy with my frozen eel with my homemade sauce ;) It's really simple to make the sauce so if the sauce is ready all you should do is make rice and grill eel fillets in an oven!
Prep: 0 hours
Cook: 10 mins
Total: 10 mins
Servings: 2 servings
• 3 Tbsp soy sauce
• 3 Tbsp Mirin (cooking wine)
• 1 1/2 Tbsp cooking sake
• 1 1/2 sugar
1. Add soy sauce, mirin, sake, sugar to a small saucepan. Turn the heat on and whisk all the mixture in medium-high heat.
2. Once boiling, reduce heat to low heat and continue simmering for 10 minutes.
3. Turn the heat off and let it cool. You can see the sauce will thicken more as it cools.
4. Store the sauce in a small jar or container and keep in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 months.