Hi guys! Today, I'm going to make Gondre (Korean thistle) Rice which one of the most well-known temple dishes in South Korea. What is Gondre? Gondre is a nutritious wild vegetable that grows naturally in the mountains in South Korea. It is rich in vegetable protein, calcium, phosphorus, iron, dietary fiber, and vitamin A, etc.
Probably it's hard to imagine Gondre Rice's taste if you have never tried this before. The aroma is fragrant and nice, but it's not too strong which makes it very easy to have. So it's a good menu for the elderly and also patients.
I'm going to use a rice cooker because I have it at home and it's easy to make but you can totally use a pot to cook this dish!
Prep: 3 hours
Cook: 20 mins
Total: 3 h 20 mins
Servings: 4 servings
• dried Gondre (Korean Thistle) 50 grams
• 3/4 cups white rice
• 3/4 cups oats rice
• 1.5 cups water
• 3 Tbsp soy sauce
• ½ Tbsp minced garlic
• 1 Tbsp sesame oil
• ½ Tbsp Gochugaru (Korean red pepper flakes)
• 2 Tbsp chopped green onions
• 1 Tbsp chopped celery
1. Boil dried Gondre for 10 minutes and soak it in the same water for 2 to 3 hours in a large mixing bowl.
2. Pour 1.5 cups of rice into a rice cooker bowl. Wash it out 2 or 3 times. Then add 1.5 cups of water into the rice bowl.
3. Squeeze out the water from the boiled Gondre, and cut them into smaller pieces. Place them over the rice bowl.
4. Set the rice cooker.
5. Let's make seasoning ;) Mix all of the listed ingredients in a small bowl.
6. Once the rice is done use the spatula and mixes the rice well.
Place rice into the bowl. Serve with 1 tbsp of the seasoning. You can add or reduce the seasoning depends on your preference.