Being a North Indian I really love to relish and cook South Indian dishes. Most of the vegetarian South Indian dishes are vegan by default and have an amazing unique taste and flavours.
For a long time, I didn't post any recipe here but today I prepared a long-awaited recipe MoongDal Payasam. It is a type of dessert or can say Moong Dal Kheer.
I had it several times in a South Indian restaurant but prepared it in my kitchen the first time and it is loved by kids too much.
- Moong Dal 1 cup
- Jaggery 1/2 cup or according to your taste
- Dry fruits 1/4 cup
- Vegetable oil or ghee 2 tsp
- Salt a pinch
- Coconut 1 large size or readymade thick coconut milk 1 cup
- Cook moong dal in a pressure cooker to make a smooth paste.
- Melt jaggery with some water.
- If coconut milk is not ready make thick coconut milk in the blender without or adding a little water.
- Stir fry dry fruits in vegetable oil preferably in coconut oil or vegan ghee.
- Add some water in boiled moong dal and make a smooth free-flowing paste with a hand blender.
- Heat and add jaggery syrup. Mix well.
- Add thick coconut milk, a pinch of salt and dry fruits.
Your Payasam is ready to serve. You can serve it hot as well as chilled.