I'd seen these giant pear shaped apple things a few time but never did I realize that this is what quince looked like. When I used to work in an artisan cheese shop about 10 years ago, i'd always up-sale quince jelly particularly with Spanish Manchego cheese, but I was never interested to try it myself, I didn't find the price tag on the orange looking jelly that appealing even after staff discount was applied. All I knew is that they supposedly paired well together and that's how the Spanish like to eat it! It's not surprise then its selling everywhere here, i'd already brought the thing before I knew what it was, after finding out I still wasn't tempted to make a jelly with it.... after all I'm not eating cheese these days!
Apparently its not that good raw, hard and not really any flavour... actually I should of tried a raw piece because I also read that it's great in salads, just squeeze lemon juice over them. The taste needs getting used to apparently. Come to think of it I think I might of tried it and don't remember it tasting of much. I think it's definately worth another try though.
I'm not eating the unrefined sugar alternatives and syrups at all so I was a bit apprehensive to do this recipe but as I'm using ceylon cinnamon that naturally lowers the blood sugar levels I found that I didn't have all the usual affects after eating sugar. The warming spices are perfect for this time of year and all the recent cold and wet weather this is so good just eaten warm straight from the pan but i've also stored some away for up and coming recipes.
I was thinking to pair it with cinnamon ice cream or pour it over my soacked or warm oats. Maybe even some slices with waffles or crepes!
All of the above sound great to me!
Take a chance on this often over looked autumnal fruit, it's full of incredible health benefits
- The high levels of antioxidants in quince are very effective in neutralizing or eliminating free radicals in the body.
- They have also been directly connected to reduced chances of developing various types of cancer.
- It regulates your blood pressure, prevents cardiovascular disorders,
- keeps your skins healthy, protected and reduces appearance of wrinkles.
- Boosts your hair quality by stimulating the hair follicles
- aids weight loss, digestion and treats gastrointestinal diseases.
✌️Join the food revolution now✊